Want to read more about Cooking the Books and my thoughts on Chicago's food scene? Check out this interview I did with Third Coast Review!

Oh, Ina, if there was a way to live your life.

Zucchini tart

For April, we picked the Barefoot ContessaGo far Ahead cookbook. Let me say first that there's a reason Ina's congenital the reputation she has–her recipes work, and they are delicious. They may not test the bounds of kitchen inventiveness, but in that location's definitely value in a recipe for perfectly cooked beef tenderloin or a not-watery vegetable lasagna, peculiarly if you're looking for a centerpiece dish for a party. If you take a house in the Hamptons, friends coming over to play bridge, and merely stepped out to get a boutonniere of freshly cut flowers from your best friend the florist, and then much the better.

Sangria is served

Jeffrey approves
Jeffrey's going to love this!

That said, I–we–definitely had some gripes with this book. Start, the majority of the recipes seem to have been repurposed from other Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. This wouldn't a big issue except these recipes were then manifestly shoehorned into the "brand alee" concept and not always in a manner that made sense.

The ane I kept shaking my head at was her version of bouillabaisse. The recipe instructs you lot to make stock (which tin exist refrigerated up to a twenty-four hours, though the recipe isn't exactly articulate at which pace your stock is washed) and then, thirty minutes before serving, reheating the stock and adding all of the other ingredients. That'southward just…making soup.

When I'one thousand looking for a "make ahead" recipe, I want one that tin can be made completely a twenty-four hours or more ahead (or only needs a uncomplicated garnish or a component like rice or noodles) and is either as expert or better the side by side day. This volume has those kind of recipes–the noodle pudding she describes as "a mash-upwards of kugel and spanikopita," which I could accept eaten a pan of by myself, craven pot pies, even the herb-roasted fish that y'all can assemble completely in single-serving packets a 24-hour interval in advance.

Noodle pudding
Chicken liver mousse

But the oddest recipes were ones like the roasted cauliflower snowflakes where the make alee component is just cutting up a head of cauliflower, or the foam of wheat that has you combine milk, sugar, and maple syrup, refrigerate it, then reheat it when you lot're ready to actually make foam of wheat. It'due south not that these recipes don't sound practiced–I admire roasted cauliflower and cream of wheat is one of my favorite wintertime Sunday breakfasts–they simply seem forced into the make ahead concept.

Someone's waiting for a treat
Lemon-ginger molasses cake

Several of the recipes also bordered on too salty. This is a difficult critique since I call up nearly people (including me) under-flavour their food, but there is nothing more frustrating than spending an hour on a recipe, filling a sink full of dishes, taking a seize with teeth of your creation…and needing to follow it with a drinking glass of water. But watch the salt in her recipes.

Happy group

At that place are some great recipes, though, as long every bit you ignore that they're supposed to be "make ahead." And you're not on a diet–more power to her, Ina does non cower in the face of butter, eggs, or cheese.

This is what we made:


More food and a special guest

  • Summer Rose Sangria – I tin can't wait to make this for a spring or summer party. Not too sweet, just enough fruit.
  • Chicken liver mousse– Sarah'due south Mt. Everest recipe, and 1 that even the liver-balky amid us liked. According to Sarah, this is i of the recipes to really watch the common salt on, though by the time it made it to us (with double the amount of livers, more butter, and more brandy), it was succulent.
  • Caesar Salads with Blueish Cheese & Salary – This was absolutely gorgeous, though nosotros agreed it would work best at a sit-down dinner. Incidentally, Mike used America's Test Kitchen steaming method for the soft-boiled eggs–they were *perfect* and very easy to peel.
  • Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Toasted Pita Triangles – Hummus is such a political party staple, and I really liked this version with a little boot from Sriracha hot sauce.
  • Marinated Herbed Feta – A bang-up alternative to a unproblematic cheese plate, particularly since y'all can make it up to a week in advance (though ha! to it lasting that long in my fridge). I'd keep this around for topping salads, sandwiches, pizza, eggs…

Yum

  • Spanish Tapas Peppers – These are at the top of my list to make in one case peppers striking the farmers marketplace. I loved the combination of sweet from the peppers and raisins, salty from the olives and anchovies (practiced to know those anchovies from the Marcella Hazan dinner didn't become to waste matter!), and warm spice from the saffron.
  • Ham and Leek Empanadas – Another cracking one for a party that was easy, delicious, and looked impressive. We decided the size could easily exist halved, especially if yous're serving these as starters or snacks.
  • Winter Slaw – Yay vegetables! I was eyeing this recipe because it was i of a few lighter vegetable dishes in the volume, and information technology's a neat crunchy, slightly bitter accessory to annihilation rich, like a pork shoulder.
  • Peas and Pancetta – Mary said she had to make this twice since her married man swiped and ate the start batch of cooked onions and pancetta. Can't say I blame him. I would add together the pancetta/onion mixture to…well, just about anything. Mashed potatoes? Eggs? Spread on a sandwich? This is the kind of brand ahead recipe that makes sense: make the onions and pancetta mixture and keep it in the fridge, when y'all're ready to make the dish, only reheat the mixture and add the peas to cook through.

Perfect filet of beef

  • Filet of Beef with Bearnaise Mayo – A showstopper. I love, honey, honey perfectly cooked beef, and this was spot on, especially with the bernaise. I'd make this in a heartbeat.
  • Zucchini and Goat Cheese Tart – This is a perfect example of why I really do love Ina's recipes–simple, delicious, beautiful.
  • Zucchini Basil Soup – Scott fabricated this in advance per the recipe and said it was actually better the 24-hour interval he made it. While it was good at the party, I don't think the overnight rest and subsequent reheat did the zucchini or basil whatever favors.
  • Spinach & Ricotta Noodle Pudding – Though nosotros always have leftovers at our dinners, I rarely take much home–I'm picky about leftovers. Simply this? I took as much every bit I could for lunch the side by side solar day without stealing the whole pan. So. Good.

Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

  • Lemon Ginger Molasses Cake – I departed from my usual savory dishes to endeavor a cake and, to Ina's credit, it was perfect. Plus it introduced me to whipped cream with creme fraiche. In theory the creme fraiche makes the cream less probable to soften in one case it's whipped, which didn't actually happen, but information technology'south and then expert I didn't care.
  • Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies – Personally, I think Jess' looked prettier than the ones in the volume, and they tasted fifty-fifty amend.
  • Fresh Apple Spice Block – This reminded me so much of my grandma'due south apple tree block, which must Ina's doing something right. A perfect dessert for fall or winter.

Apple cake and ice cream

Overall, while this isn't a volume I'd become out of my way to buy, I do plan to photocopy a few of the recipes before I requite the book dorsum to my mom.

Adjacent upward, we're kicking off farmers marketplace season in May with Vegetarian Cooking for Anybody past Deborah Madison (who, incidentally, just got the James Beard Lifetime Achievement Award). Can't wait!